02 September 2012

Pursuit of Happiness


اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَا تُهُ

Searching. That's what this is all about. And this is 'life'.

The individual within each of us is always on the lookout. For what? I don't know exactly. But something that leads to happiness. Yes, happiness.

According to science, human beings need certain necessities in order to live. Basic needs that must be met if we are to  survive and see another tomorrow. Basic needs that, deprived of it we become weak, cut off from it over prolonged periods we die.

However, in this world spearheaded by science and innovation, this era of technological progress, one of those necessities still elude us. The object in question? Happiness.

So what is this illusive thing we often think we have? Only to realise, much later, the painful fact that it never came to us in the first place. Have you ever been happy? And I mean truly happy.

Well, that's the thing: I am not so sure myself.

One thing though is for sure - everyone on this earth is in the mad pursuit for happiness. The means of getting to this mirage of a destination differ vastly. The results too vary. Some get there, others never moved an inch closer to it. Amazingly, some even move further away as they struggle harder to get there.

Are you any closer to happiness?

Moving on, and I better stop now before I get too philosophical if I'm not already, how do we catch this thing we're after? Like I said, methods can differ and chances are you may not ever get to your intended destination.

But fear not! For results are out of our domain of power. But efforts, my friend? Effort is the one and only variable in our direct control. Why worry over the winds when you can always adjust your sail?

No comments:

Post a Comment